When you think of local fried chicken, Hattie’s Restaurant is up in at least the top three and now, those closer to Albany soon won’t have to make the drive to Saratoga to enjoy it!
Hattie’s Restaurant’s original location on Phila Street in Saratoga Springs has already expanded to Hattie’s Chicken Shack in Wilton and starting as soon as September, work will begin on the new Albany location.
According to the Albany Business Review, the foundation backing the project, Business for Good, is just waiting for tax credit approval to begin. It seems appropriate that something locally historic as Hattie’s will be taking the space that was once home to the historic Lombardo’s. Fans of both restaurants will be happy to know that pieces of each will be found in the new space. The restaurant will of course be Hattie’s but, from Lombardo’s, will include “the flamingo and manatee murals on the walls, the tile floors and light fixtures. Some of the old booths will be saved for a waiting area too.”
They’re also planning to add new wallpaper, instruments, a new neon sign, and a mural to the founder herself Hattie Moseley Austin, who opened the original space in 1938.
Chef Mark D. Graham will be heading the new location and noted that the food in the Albany location will follow the New Orlean-inspired cuisine like Saratoga Springs but will go beyond what we have already seen (without forgetting the classics).