You thought that we’d have to wait until Fall to get cider donuts, right? NOPE! Local farms are hoping to put a smile on our quarantine faces and started making them now.
This past weekend, I was so excited to have a cider donut. It was a beautiful day and I needed a reason to get out of the house (don’t you?). I reserved cider donuts from Ellms Family Farm (Ballston Spa) through their website and counted down the days until I could go pick them up.
We drove to Ellms Farm during our designated time slot (12:00pm). We drove up to the tent, gave them the name we ordered with online and cider donuts were ours! With the price of the optional tour, one dozen came to about $15. We decided to drive through the farm which, honestly, has so much more to offer than I thought it did. At the end of the tour, we decided to get kettle corn and a gallon of apple cider to continue to support local ($20 total).
Don’t worry, you didn’t miss it! This weekend
(May 1-3), they’re offering a Kids Scavenger Hunt and more cider donut drive-thrus (CLICK HERE TO RESERVE YOUR DONUTS). Then, on May 8-10, they will be celebrating Mother’s Day where each vehicle will get one free farm admission in the fall and the cider donut drive-thru will be open again (CLICK HERE TO RESERVE FOR MOTHER’S DAY WEEKEND).
I’m about to make great news even better: Ellms Family Farm isn’t the only farm offering cider donuts!
- Lansing’s Farm Market & Greenhouses in Colonie has been sporadically advertising cider donuts, keep and eye on their Facebook page
- Bowman’s Orchards in Rexford has announced that Mother’s Day weekend (May 8-10) they will be hosting a cider donut and orchard drive-thru. RESERVE a spot through their website and get your dozen of donuts for $10.95, plus a $5 entrance fee. The following weekend (May 15-16), donuts can be picked up & paid for at the Bowman Orchards Store
- Kristy’s Barn is opening this weekend (May 1) but no word on cider donuts or not
- Indian Ladder Farms will open on June 1st with bakery and cider donuts
- Yonder Farm, open for take-out with cider donuts, call 518-456-6823
- Golden Harvest is open
Still closed according to their websites: Riverview Orchards, Fo’Castle Farms, Lakeside Farms, Cider Belly Doughnuts, and Schuyler Bakery.