Proctors/theREP Announce 2019-2020 Season [VIDEO]
The biggest night in local theater, the Proctors and theREP Announcement Bash has happened and have you heard what’s coming to the area for 2019-2020?
Every year, Proctors Theatre and theRep host an announcement bash where they, along with stars from Broadway, announce which shows are coming for the next subscription season. We went into this knowing Frozen was coming but had no idea what else to expect.
To start, let’s break down theREP’s 2019-2020 season:
- The Full Monty [July 5-August 4, 2019]: A group of unemployed Buffalo steelworkers come up with a bold way to make some quick cash after spying on their wives at a male strip club (subscriber exclusive).
- The Play That Goes Wrong [April 7-12, 2020]: Described as a mix between Sherlock Holmes and Monty Python, it’s a murder mystery that just never ends up going right (subscriber exclusive).
- CATS! [April 28-May 31, 2020]: The classic musical beginning new life for a new generation (subscriber exclusive).
- Lobby Hero [Sept 27-Oct 20, 2019]: A young security guard is drawn into a local murder investigation and reveals a big secret to his unrequited crush and all hell breaks loose.
- It’s a Wonderful Life: Live from WVL Radio Theater [Nov 22- Dec 22, 2019]: The story of George Bailey comes to life as a 1940s radio broadcast.
- Your Best One [Jan 17-Feb 9, 2020]: Richard and David seemed to have it all, until they decided to adopt a child and things are all that they imagined.
- The Irish and How They Got That Way [March 6-April 5]: Compiled by famous Irish author Frank McCourt, including a working on-stage bar, it’s a blend of some of your favorite Irish songs with the history of the Irish.
- Sister Act [July 10-Aug 16, 2020]: Based on the movie starring Whoopi Goldberg, featuring original music, Deloris Van Cartier witnesses a murder and the police put her in the one place she won’t be found: a convent!
And for the Proctors 2019-2020 season:
- The SpongeBob Musical [Sept 22-28, 2019]: Bringing to life the famous characters from the popular Nickelodeon TV show.
- Disney’s Frozen [Nov 10-24, 2019]: The story of two sisters pulled apart by a mysterious secret, based on the award-winning Disney film.
- The Band’s Visit [Dec 31-Jan 5, 2020]: A band of Egyptian musicians shows up lost at Dina’s cafe, and the sleepy town begins to wake up.
- Fiddler on the Roof [Feb 18-23, 2020]: A heartwarming story of fathers and daughters, husbands and wives, and life, love, and laughter.
- SUMMER: The Donna Summer Musical [March 24-29, 2020]: The story of how Donna Summer started as just a girl from Boston to become the icon of an era.
- Hello, Dolly! [May 5-10, 2020]: The story of Dolly, a socialite-turned-matchmaker, and her relationships with her newest clients while trying to cover up her own romantic secrets.
- Dear Evan Hansen [June 9-14, 2020]: Starting with a letter that was never meant to be seen, the story is about Evan Hansen and his one chance to get the thing he’s always wanted, the chance to fit in.
Also, some interesting notes about this season is that The Spongebob Musical and Disney’s Frozen will be teching here in Schenectady. That means they’re figuring out their tour based on what happens here in Schenectady. They work out the lights, sound, staging, and marketing right here for the first time. Speaking of Frozen, Proctors is currently hosting a giveaway on their website for a trip to New York City to see the show on Broadway, enter by April 6th.
In regards to theREP, Sister Act will be the very first show shown at the new home in July 2020. They are moving from 111 N. Pearl to 251 N. Pearl in Albany.